Thursday, February 24, 2022

use the brain (LT inv)

(see also next post, Lizard brain trader)
Premarket, SPY down almost 3% premkt, breaking strong through pivot low from January. What a freaking mess. I'm a daytrader, but I also have friends, family, self with long term accounts. Absolutely everything is dropping out.

I'm psyching myself out now. Lack of composure. On one hand, dump! On the other hand, red dog reversal?. On the other hand, does this feel like capitulation (no)? Otoh, I thought I was going to hold "forever". Otoh really?, absolutely no line in the sand? Otoh, if I sell here and it bounces, I can always buy back; if I don't sell here, am I willing to see where it goes? Dumb money will panic here? Russia invaded Ukraine / geopolitical uncertainty. Inflation. ... 

I've been doing this forever. Why am I indecisive here? Why is this not clear to me? Why did I wait so long? Why can't I engage my rational brain and make a decision?

Market could open down 3%. Could it go down 5%? Sure. Could it go down more? Yes. Would that be the capitulation flush to buy? ...eh...  Brain says "just sell. stop the pain." Another part of the brain says set a stop somewhere... why didn't I set a stop further above?...why didn't I hold onto those puts?... am I panicking? Is this capitulation? Am I too experienced to feel capitulation, or do I have the same lizard-brain as everyone else?

Let's pull this s#!t together before the open. I feel fear/panic. That means I need to sell some to ease up on my emotions. Don't try to micromanage... just put in the order and don't look back for a while. I've already missed the point of "optimization." Now I'm just part of the herd.





Popular Posts